Desktop Blog Editor
- Desk : Try out this editor if you want a distraction free environment and focus solely on writing. The Desk app is currently available for Mac users only. You can publish your post directly to a bunch of publishing platforms which includes WordPress, Blogger, TypePad, SquareSpace, Tumblr etc. You can also publish your post on other online publishing websites like Facebook.
- Window Live Writer : When it comes to Windows platform Window Live Writer is far most my favourite desktop editor. You can save your post as local draft or publish it right from the editor. You can add multiple blogs. This is one of the best free alternative for desktop editors.
- Open Live Writer : It is like the more advanced and updated version of Window Live Writer.
Content Idea Generation Tools To Create Well Optimized Content
- BuzzSumo : Go to BuzzSumo website > Enter a topic or website URL in the BuzzSumo search box > and there you got – the most shared and popular content. This is the best tool to analyze the best performing content in your niche.
- Twitter Trends : Twitter is a perfect place to grasp a idea with a potential to go viral. Twitter search and Twitter Trending Topics can help you to find what people are talking about and what is trending on the web.
- Quora : Quora is one of the most popular Q&A website on the web. Just type your keyword or topic in the search box and you will get some real ideas.
- Yahoo Answers : As on Quora, this is also the place where you will find some real questions which you can answer with you blogpost.
- Quick Sprout : Quick Sprout analyze the content and site’s performance of the website. Just enter the URL into the Quick Sprout and you will get a analysis report.
- Blog Topics Generator : This is a free service offered by HubSpot. Just enter your keywords and it will give you a list of titles related to your topic.
- Google Trends : You can find the currently trending topics on the web by using this tool. You can also check the search volume for your own keywords and compare the search patterns on the basis of specific time frames and regions.
- Addict o matic : This tool searches the web for any given topic and split out the results on the basis of different resources such as Twitter Search, Bing News, Youtube etc.
Creative Post Title Generation Tools
- EMV Headline Analyzer : This tool measure the Emotional Marketing Value of your blogpost title. The EMV tool provide score on the basis of words which hold emotional value compared to the total words in the title. A title with higher EMV score tends to perform better on social media platforms.
- UpWorthy title generator : This title generator tool provides blogpost title headlines with much more potential to go viral.
- Portent Title Maker : It works similar to the Blog Topic Generator by Hubspot. Enter any keyword or topic and you will get a catchy blogpost title. Just refresh and you will get another until you get the perfect one.
- Headline Analyzer : One of the best headline analyzer from CoSchedule.
- TweakYourBiz Title Generator : Another great tool to get inspiration for a perfect title for your blogpost. However, not all suggestions by this tool are accurate but you can certainly get the idea.
Proof Reading Tools
I never rely on the default proof reading features of post editors neither should you.
- Grammarly : Grammarly is far most the best proof reading tool in this field. You can copy-paste your post into Grammarly’s online grammar checker tool or you can alternately use their browser extension.
- Hemingway : Hemingway is a free tool which analyze your text-article for readability. It highlights the sentences which are too long or complex and need some work.
Image Capturing & Video Editing + Recording Tools
- Snag.it : This is one of the best tools for taking screenshots, adding text, arrows and other editing elements. This tool is available for both Mac and Windows users.
- Lightshot : This is another simple and light weight tool for capturing screenshots. You can either download the app ( just few bytes) or just install the browser extension.
- MPEG Streamclip : This software is available for both Mac and Windows operating systems. You can edit (trim) any video and change video format to alter it’s quality and size.
- Audacity : This is a free sound recording and editing tool. Audacity is highly recommended tool for bloggers who host podcasts.
- Camtasia : Camtasia is a premium video recording utility available for both Mac and Windows OS. They also offer a 30-Days free trial.
Stock Image Websites Resources
- Pixabay : High quality images with free public license.
- UnSplash : A good quality image source to download free images with public domain.
- New Old Stock : Free High resolution Vintage photos.
- Death to Stock Photos : Creative and unique photos.
- Iconfinder : Free icons for web-development jobs.
- Gratisography : Free source for high quality photos.
- PhotoPin : Lets you search Creative Common photos from Flickr.
- Flaticon : A huge resource of icons and web elements.
Tools For Creating Images For Social Media
- Canva : This is the most popular online image editing tool for creating images and graphic for your blog or social media channels. There are pre-made templates and custom image sizes for specific social media channels. Their drag-and-drop interface makes it super-easy to create unique and creative images within a minute.
- Pablo : It is a free web-based utility offered by BufferApp. You can edit your images, add text and directly share them on social media channels.
- QuotesCover : Convert your text into beautiful images.
- PicMonkey : PicMonkey is a free online tool for creating & editing images.
- Vid to Gif Maker : By using this tool you can create a GIF image from any video.
- Meme Generator : Memes are very popular all over the web, specially on social media sites. They stand out from other regular images and can deliver message in a more efficient way. Meme Generator is your best bet to create memes from scratch.
Social Media Management Tools
- BufferApp : Schedule your blog articles to publish on your social media channels (get your articles shared on social sites even when you are sleeping). Share your posts on your social media profiles multiple times with custom headline and images for each update. Buffer also provides the necessary analytics for your shares.
- HootSuite : Manage all your social media accounts from one dashboard. You can schedule tasks and analyze results and track your social mentions.
- Google Webmaster Tool : Now known as Google Search Console. This is a free service from Google and highly recommended for every serious blogger. This tool allow you to keep check on your website’s links, keyword ranking, different type of errors (crawling errors, 404 Not Found errors etc.), content duplication & indexing and a lot more.
- Bing Webmaster Tool : This service is offered by Bing search engine. This is a similar tool like Google Webmaster Tool. You can check & control your website’s important data and behaviour on Being search engine.
- ScreamingFrog : The Screaming Frog SEO Spider is a desktop program you can install locally on your PC which crawls websites’ links, images, CSS, script and apps to evaluate onsite SEO. You can find broken links. audit redirects, analyse page title and meta data, discover duplicate content, generate XML sitemaps and even integrate with Google analytics.
- SEO Book : A range of free and premium SEO tools. You must try them. They also offered browser extensions. You can also try their web-based SEO tools.Yoast WordPress SEO plugin : One of the most popular and most recommended SEO plugin. It allows you to add focus keyword, edit post meta data, check readability and tells you whether your post is ready to be publish or not.
- XML Sitemaps: Submit your website’s XML sitemaps to all major search engines. You can easily create your sitemaps by using Yoast SEO plugin.
Stats, Metrics And Analytics Tools
- Google Analytics : Google Analytics is one of the best web-based analytics tool from the giant Google. By using this free tool you can check your traffic resources and their behaviour – from where your visitors are coming from, what they are looking for and how much time they spend on your website/blog. Must have tool in every blogger’s toolkit.
- Mint : Trusted by some of the top bloggers on the web. A strong alternative for Google analytics if you are looking for premium solution.
- Jetpack plugin : If you are using Jetpack plugin (you should), you can sneak into your website stats right from your WordPress dashboard.
- Social Crawlytics : A free tool to check the social stats of any website. By using this tool you can check the top shared or followed post of any blog.
Keyword Research Tools
- Google Keyword Planner : Google Keyword Planner is a useful keyword research tool. Again a free and awesome service from Google. This tool allows you to check the search volume and popularity of keywords you want to rank. It also suggests you the related keywords that might do the charm for you.
- LongTailPro : A great desktop tool for keyword research, specially for long tail keyword (keywords which contains more than 2 words). Long tail keywords tends to rank better in search results. This tool is available for both Mac and Windows OS.
- Keywordtool.io : Another awesome keyword research tool popular in bloggers. It present you a long list of suggestions for every entered keyword from all the major search engines. And yeah.. its free.
- UberSuggest : A great tool for finding LSI keywords.
- SEMRUSH : Probably the best and most used tool in this niche. You can use it to spy on your competitors (find keywords for which they are ranking for) and improve your own rankings.
Blog Monetization Tools
- Google AdSense : Google AdSense is the most popular ad network run and maintained by…yep..again Google. This far most the best contextual ads solution.
- Amazon Associates : You must have heard about them. You can earn a descent amount by promoting Amazon products on your blog. Every time someone buys a product by using your link, you will get a commission.
- AdChoice :
- VigLink: Best advertisements solution for commercial blogs.
Email Marketing Tools
- Feed burner : Feedburner is a free service offered by Google which lets you manage your blog’s RSS feeds. It gives you full control over your feeds optimization, syndication and delivery. You can use this tool to deliver daily updates to your users.
- AWeber : Aweber is probably the best email marketing tool. It lets you start an email newsletter, collect user’s email addresses, automate campaigns and also have prebuilt email templates.
- GetResponse : GetResponse is also a popular email marketing tool. They also offers a free trial period (one month).
- MailChimp : MailChimp is a great free email marketing solution if your blog audience base is not so large. They offers free service for 2,000 subscribers. You can send up to 12000 emails per month. If your email list exceed 2000 or if you want to increase the number of emails/month, you can always opt for their premium plan.
- HelloBar : HelloBar adds a beautiful and eye-catching optin-bar at the top of your blog. This is an useful tool to increase your email list.
Blog + Content Promotion Tools
- ViralContentBuzz : ViralContentBuzz is a fantastic platform for promoting your content on social media channels. This is something like ‘give from one hand and take from the other’ . That simply means, you share other’s content on social media and in return they share yours.
- Flipboard : Flipboard, if used correctly, can drive a huge amount of targeted traffic to your blog. By using this tool you can curate articles related to your niche from all over the web which also include your own blog.
- WiseStamp : Wisestamp add free email signature which links to your blog or social media profiles. It can significantly increase your social followers and subscribers.
- Triberr : Some bloggers achieve great traffic results by using Triberr. You have to create or join tribes and where the tribe members share useful articles.
- Whats new : Deliver the latest updates (user specific) to your blog visitors. That means, the updates shown to a user are based on his/her last visit to your blog. 5 minutes setup and you are good to go.
Blog Links Management
- Moz : Formerly known as SEOMoz has a very useful tool called Open Site Explorer (OSE) which lets you check the external links pointed toward a domain. You can also check the internal links within a root domain. Further you can sort them as follow or do-follow links. A perfect tool for backlinks analysis of your competitors (sneak-peak) and of-course your own blog.
- Xenu : Another popular tool to hunt down the broken links on your blog or website.
- Integrity : Integrity is a desktop program (available for Mac users). This tool help you to find out your website’s broken links (both internal & external).
- Pretty Link : Pretty Link is a WordPress plugin which lets you replace your long and ugly affiliate links with short and pretty URLs. You can also track the number of clicks received by each link.
- Bit.ly : This is a free URL shorten service. You can shorten your links and track them.
Tools To Organize Your Notes & Thoughts
- Evernote : A fabulous tool to capture/save anything like text, photos, notes, snippets and even whole webpages. You can organize them and access them easily, anywhere via your laptop/mobile machine.
- Trello : Got an idea, turn it into a card. Trello is a nice task-management tool with a simple drag-and-drop card-based user-interface. Plus, you can set-up workflows to increase your productivity.
- Wunderlist : Divide your to-do list into categories and sub-categories. Share and access you to-do list from anywhere because like Evernote, all your data is cloud-synced.
- Dropbox : A great tool to store documents, PDF files, images and other heavy content. Dropbox comes with many other features like file-syncing and file-sharing, to name a few.
- Catch : Another tool for saving and organizing notes and other content files. This simple yet efficient tool absolutely worth a try.
- Beanote – Note Taking on Page : As the name suggests, this is a light browser extension which lets you to take notes on web pages. Highlight the important text on a web page or just take simple notes.
Hosting Resources And Database Management
- Most Recommended & Reliable Web-Hosting Services : Web-Hosting service is very important for a successful blogging environment. If you are a beginner, you should opt for services like BlueHost and HostGator. They offers shared-hosting plans which are affordable as well as affordable. As your blog grows, you can upgrade to a dedicated servers.
- FileZilla : This is a popular FTP tool which help you to access your website’s database. This is a free desktop program available for all major operating systems.
- MySQL WorkBench
- WP-DBManager : A handy tool to backup and manage your SQL database. However, this is a bit techy and not recommended for newbie users.
- WP-Optimize : Every time you edit or update a post, WordPress store the previous version of your blogpost. Say, you have updated a post 17 times (it happens), then there will be 17 revised version of that post stored in your database. That’s where WP-Optimize comes to your rescue. This cleans your database by stripping off the old versions of your posts. Plus, it also kicks your spam-comments out of your database.
Tools To Spy On Your Compititors
- Alexa : You must have came across this name before. Many popular blogs often have Alexa widget on their blog showing their blog’s Alexa Rank on the web. This tool shows your website’s metrics and other traffic data (such as the search queries led to your site). You can also use this tool to track your competitors.
- SimilarWeb : SimilarWeb provides you information regarding any website’s traffic overview, referral data, traffic from social media channels and much more. You can also compare your website with your competitors profile in order to get a more clear overview.
- Moat : Check out the advertisements run by your competitors on their blogs/websites. This can be very helpful in choosing the best ad-network for your own blog.
- SpyOnWeb : This tool finds out all the websites belong to a specific person. This tool works on the basis of IP addresses. However, the accuracy of the results may fluctuate as the websites hosted on shared hosting may not belong to the same owner.
- PIWIK : PIWIK is an open source analytics software which provides you powerful analytics and user-centric insights. You can download the zip file from their official site and upload that to your server. They also offers Piwik Mobile App to keep you up-to-date on the go
- Followerwonk : Followerwonk is a free tool offered by Moz which analyze, find and optimize any Twitter account (including your own) for social growth. You can analyse your competitors’ followers, recent tweets, location and find users (sort by keywords, age, language, activity etc.).
Speed Analysis Tools
- Pingdom Speed Test : Pingdom is one of the most popular tool on the web for testing the speed of a website. Pingdom speed reports include page analysis, requests per domain and performance grades. This tool also analyse your web pages for mobile devices.
- GTmetrix : Another great tool for website’s speed testing. You can also check your website performance for different browsers (Chrome/Firefox). You can further compare your speed results against different data connections (cable/dial-up).
- Google PageSpeed Insights : A website speed test tool offered by Google. Its awards your website with a grade number (between 1 – 100), higher the grade > better the site performance. This tool analyze your website for both desktop and mobile versions.
- Google Mobile Friendly Test : This is free tool offered by Google to check whether your site is mobile friendly or not. You should also check this tool from Google Developers.
Mind Mapping Tools
- XMind : They market themselves as “The Most Popular Mind Mapping Tool On The Planet”, and probably they are. It lets you manage and organize complex content into simple pieces of useful visuals. Some other features includes audio notes, proof-reading, and easy export.
- Popplet : Popplet is a beautiful mind mapping tool. Decorate yours ideas with text, videos, images and even draw free-hand doodles. You can also embed your job on your website or blog. They also offer a app for iOS mobile devices.
- Wisemapping : Wisemapping is an open source program which has both web-based and desktop versions. You can also easily import and export your data to PDF, SVG, PNG file formats.
- Bubbl.us : Arrange your ideas in a tree-structure and divide your topic into categories and sub-categories. Share your project with other members. Save, export or print your task – all for free.
- CoMapping : CoMapping is another fantastic brainstorming and mind mapping tool . Its drag-and-drop interface user-interface lets you arrange topics and notes in an extremely easy manner. CoMapping also has some more cool features like presentation, email status updates and instant chat discussions. You can also download and install this tool on your machine locally.
- For some more useful tools in this category, please check out :
Tools To Create Legal Accessories For Your Blog